Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Realities & Adventures

This weekend was not as productive as expected. Although I did write my resume and get some reading done, I had planned on a lot more. This cover letter thing is more intimidating than I thought. I feel like I need to learn more about the organizations I'm applying to before I start writing a cover letter to them. So more research this week I guess. This week is pretty easy class wise so I can probably fit more research time in.

This week has also been really real. A somewhat startling realization to count your blessings everyday. First of all a close friend is going through a divorce which is something really foreign to me. I've only had a few friends whose parents are going through a divorce much less knowing someone who actually is. Also I'm really awkward about talking to people about negative things happening in their lives. I wish it was something I was better at but in my family we tend to just ignore negative things till the go away. Or just spend a lot of time denying anything negative is happening. Ostrich family is what I call it. In any case, I am shitty at being helpful in this situation. I can't even imagine what it feels like to deal with a divorce. Never mind the emotional side, just the financial side is terrifying. Even when the individuals are amicable, there still seems to be a sense of both parties are going through this alone. It can't be easy going from making decisions together for X amount of year to suddenly having to rely on only your judgement and instincts for every choice. Especially since my parents are still together I rarely think of divorce as a reality some people are faced with. As I'm sure everyone does (aside from Kim Kardashian maybe) when I think of marriage, I don't think of it as something that ends, ever. It's one of the few things in life I generally have faith will last a lifetime. Clearly that is not always the case. I know there is nothing to do but be there for my friend and offer whatever support I can, I just wish there was a way to know the right thing to do without having to ask...

The next thing that happened was a very close friend lost her mother. Yet another thing I have no idea how to be helpful with. We are not nearly old enough to be losing parents. Again I wish I knew how to be the most helpful. Do people still bring the family dinner? Like can I make lasagna and bring it over, or is that weird?

These type of things always make me examine my own life a little more closely. Do I tell the people I love that I love them everyday? Do I make sure my friends and family feel as though I care about them as much as I do? Who have I blown off seeing to take a nap or play video games and why? I know a person can't be prepared for any of the awful situations in life, but is there a way to make somethings easier later?

Dylan and Justin in Narnia
On a brighter note, Adventure Monday was a resounding success. Justin and I started doing hikes and activities on Mondays after work a while back so we dubbed it "Adventure Mondays." In the fall it was easier to do hikes but now it gets dark to early so we've had to figure out other things to do. Dylan joined us this week and we started off by playing wiffle ball at the elementary school near my house which was awesome! I have very little sports capabilities so I was surprise at how fun it was to hit a ball around. This is a new Monday must... Then off to Rocky Butte to see the snow fall. Here are the lovely photos! I think it looked like Narnia.

Narnia!
City lights



I made a salt and pepper heart!



















Then we went to Dyaln's house for a bit to drink some beer. We ended up making the wiffle ball Axis of Evil. Not real sure how it started but things got pretty.... well... something... Lastly we went to the Kennedy School for some late night snacks. I can sit still at a table so I entertained myself by making shapes in the salt and pepper. Yeah, I'm like 8 years old at heart...



Today started out excellently. Was woken with Archer's voice saying "Hi, it's the 1930's! Can we have our words and clothes and shitty airplane back? Call you back, 1930's. And hey, watch out for that Adolf Hitler. He's a bad egg!" Yeah that's my phone's ringtone. And who was calling, you may ask? Why it was the boy calling from Haiti! Kind of Haiti. Technically from the Dominican like ten minutes away from the border with Haiti but Haiti sounds better. Made my day so cool. And sad a little just because I miss him. But it was awesome to finally get to chat for a while. He's so happy there. It is so awesome. Wish I could just get on a plane and fly there tomorrow! Instead I need to stop writing this and walk through the slushy rain to get to class. Just have to keep reminding myself I'll get back to Haiti eventually!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment