Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Realization

Last term was not good for me. I have never performed so poorly in my academic career. There were a lot of things going on for me that I was not able to deal with in a productive way and I ended up spending most of my time drinking, partying and sleeping through class. First of all my roommate of 5 years and close friends of 8 years was pregnant. Obviously this was a big fucking deal for her but it also had implications for my life. Clearly, I had to find a new place to live. So I moved into my coworker and friends house for 2 months. It was great, I loved living with them and their daughter but obviously it wasn't long term. In lieu of any other plan, I moved home. It was 2 months of moving and cleaning while trying to start a new term of school and it was fucking stressful physically and emotionally. I felt like I was dealing with everything by myself (even though I know this isn't true). I also felt like I had to do everything Alisa couldn't to because she was pregnant. This was the unhealthy part of my year of saying yes to things. I said yes to dumb things like getting drunk even though I had class in the morning. Yes to afternoon mimosas instead of afternoon study sessions. Yes to a whole range of things I wouldn't have ordinarily done. Some things turned out well; I said yes to going to LA for a week and ended up meeting the boy which was awesome. I said yes to hanging out with my friends all the time so I feel like I got closer to a lot of people. I said yes to adventure Mondays which are so much fun! But there were plenty of things that suffered. My grades plummeted, I finally looked at my grades tonight and I got an A-, D and F. I've never failed anything in my life. The bigger down side to this is that unless I can be really creative and spend a lot of time convincing various advisers of things, I may have tacked on another term to my academic careers. Rad. My liver suffered. My bank account suffered. My good judgement suffered and put me in some questionable situations. Basically, I was not good to myself and forgot to think about the long term ramifications of my decisions.

Now I feel like I am back on track. I remembered what I am working for. And now I have to work even harder to get there. The upside is I am feeling emotionally healthier and happier. I am waking up in the morning and getting shit done. Even though I have spent all of January sick or injured, I am still doing better than I was in the fall. I am getting better at using self restraint and not getting belligerently drunk. I look forward to waking up without a hangover more than I look forward to partying. I am reading more and doing more of the things I feel make me, me. Which is great. Although running my transcript reports was slightly saddening, at least I can be realistic about myself and my goals. And even though I'm going to do everything I can to graduate in the spring of 2013, maybe graduating in the summer of 2013 isn't the worst thing in the world.

These are the things I have done this weekend:

  • Actually wrote & posted the required online responses for my 250 class. (I never do online responses, required or not, so this is big)
  • Ran my transcript report
  • Applied to volunteer with the Red Cross & Impact Northwest
  • Wrote the first of two essays for the Partners in Health application
  • Did a ton of reading for all my classes
  • Attempted again to get my French book back
  • Penciled out the financing of a 2 week study abroad program in Nicaragua
These are the things I need to get done this week:
  • COVER LETTERS (yes, I am putting them off as long as possible. Which is dumb.)
  • Make an appointment with the career center. 
  • Finish The Resilient Child
  • Get next set of books from Kim
  • Do something outdoorsy
  • Stop being sick
This story made me realize that I spent too long in the waiting place and that nothing will even happen there. So I leave you all with this video which made me happy, inspired and want to go to Burning Man.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment